some lovely pictures

Friday, February 27, 2009

Lessons we can learn from Disney...

So, it's amazing sometimes what we can learn from other people, movies, songs, ect. I was reading Beccas blog last night (btw- you should read her blog http://becca16-everydayiwritethebook.blogspot.com/) and it inspired me to write about some important lessons I have learned from Disney. I too have dressed up in a Pocahontas outfit before. Actually, I think I have been Pocahontas, Belle, Snow White, and Jazmine... and it wasn't just for Halloween either, these were like my everyday clothes that I would fight my mom to wear. I have always been a fan of Disney and I think sometimes God can use your interests to teach you something. So here is my list of things that I have learned over the years through Disney:
1. Always see the good in people






In Beauty and the Beast, Belle was different from everyone else. Actually, the animators purposely left out any blue in the whole town so that her blue outfit could stand out more. Anyways, she taught me to stand up for what I believe in and to not always follow the crowd... and by doing that, allowing yourself to really see people who they truly are.

2. Don't leave your child in the Jungle
haha... just had to throw that in there. In the Jungle Book, poor Mowgli has to grow up not knowing exactlywhere he belongs.


3. Don't focus on my past and keep moving forward.
Meet the Robinsons is such an amazing movie. I have learned one of the most important lessons in like from that movie. I think it is so easy, especially in state that our economy is in right now, to focus on all the negative things in life. The news doesn't really help when most of what we read and watch are negative, but there are still so many good things in life as well. Lately I have been struggling with what I'm suppose to do in the fall. I get so caught up on the "what ifs" and the "what was" that I don't pay attention to the gifts that I have in front of me right now. I think it truly is important to bring joy with you wherever you may go, to wait for joy to find you. Just keep moving forward.
4. We all make mistakes but we can't hide from them, we must embrace them and learn from them.
In The Lion King, Simba is forced to run away... "run away and never return". Yes, he didn't really do anything wrong but he though he did, and so he ran. It's funny how common that is for people. I mean I know my first reaction when I do something bad is to run. But, I have come to realize, that we are suppose to make those mistakes or go through those hard times so that we can learn from them. What if we didn't always run? What if we acknowledged what we have done and learn from it? I think we would truly be better because of it.

5. We get second chances in life.
In Pinocchio, a fairy gives someone this gift of life. Now, as I just mentioned, we all make mistakes and Pinocchio definately had his share of them. However, when he did make a mistake, the fairy always gave him the opportunity to make it right again. I think that's what GOd does for us, he gives us second chances when we need them.



So, thoughts? Comments? What have you all learned from Disney?

P.S. GO to Southern Gothic Productions if you still haven't... southerngothicproductions.blogspot.com
Happy Friday everyone!

1 comment:

  1. i love this Raquel. symbolism is amazing and disney knew how to work it. this was inspiring. I'm so honored that you mentioned me. thank you. you are just fabulous!
    PS-totally love that you had a Pochantas outfit too.

    Raquel=Superb.

    ReplyDelete