some lovely pictures

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Stories

Hi all,
So I decided I'm going to change the style of this blog a bit. Along with informing everyone onmy trip to Costa Rica, I want to also start a fun community to help encourage everyone with fun projects to do around the community and getting parents students and teachers involved to help better the schoool systems all over.
Growing up, I never really had great experiences in school. The only thing that kept me going was the arts. I am a true believer that the arts is one of the key componenets to a child's education.
I am 20 years old and I work in a small school district with a high crime rate. A couple of weeks ago, I met with several principles to start an after school program. It was approved an in April we will be starting a program for elementary school students to come and have art lessons, music lessons, and language lessons. All of this is going to be free and led by volunteers. I am so excited to do this and see a safe enviornment grow for students to come and learn. While starting this blog, I decided it would be fun to hear from other people and see what others are doing in their community and schools and maybe get suggestions and encouragement from each other to work together as a team and slowly start to improve the American School system and school all over the world.
So now that you know my two projects both here and in Costa Rica... its your turn to share your stories.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Thanks for reading my comment on Southern Gothic Production's blog and responding. It's always encouraging to have someone reply! I read your post and I wish you the best of luck with everything! I currently lead a group of young actors (7th-12th grades.) We meet at a local church every Thursday and we go through kind of a rough outline me and my acting mentor have created. He actually created two handbooks "Drama from the Ground Up" and "Now that You've Started" that outline a 12 week program full of the theater basics, improv, sample scripts and techniques. We have a Drama Retreat weekend towards the end and at the end of the 12 weeks they have a Talent Showcase. It's a lot of fun and we also try and find things for them to do in the community and stuff. Let me know if you want me to send you the handbooks we go by or if you have any other questions.

    ReplyDelete