some lovely pictures

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Powells and Portland

So, yesterday was such an adventure. My plan was to go around Portland and take some pictures of my favorite areas but it was raining. Then my camera died so I didn't really get many pictures anyway. I did however spend a great amount of time at Powells. For those of you who don't know, Powells is the happiest place on Earth. Its a bookstore in Portland and it's my sanctuary. This place is ginormous. Filled with books of course but there are like 4 levels and like 10 different rooms. I love books, and I love discovering new books. Yesterday, instead of taking pictures of Portland (I did take a few though), I spend 4 hours getting lost in the world of books. I found a few new authors and books, one book in particular that I think everyone should get. It's called the "The Book of Wonder" by Lord Dunsany. This book is really small and old, but it is filled with a ton of short stories, remarkable short stories, and its amazing. I also came across a book called "Einstein's Dreams" by Alan Lightman. This is really cool. It reminded me of Sue and her writing about thoughts and words. It's basically a book asking questions about time. It's really hard to explain but its really good. I bought it. Then I found another author, Ursula K Le Guin. Another book I have been wanting to get that I finaly got was "Don't Pat the Wombat." I think everyone should read this book. One of the funniest and entertaining books I have read.
So, I made a video of my trip to Powells. It's six minutes long so I'm gona just attach the link if you want to see it cause I'm sure it will take a while to upload on here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ByxBVJKFxo

And to end this post... here are some really random pics of Portland that I took before my camera died. I will definitely go back when the weather gets better because there are so many more places that I want to show you all.

2 comments:

  1. oh yay. i can't wait to go to powell's. i'm sorry it was raining, but i'm glad it didn't put a damper on your day. :) those books sound really neat. lemme know how the are when you're done. thanks for sharing WCS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaawesome!!! I'm way too ADD to spend 4 hours in a bookstore. But it sounds like it would be a nice time... I woulda loved it as a kid

    I hear portland is ALWAYS rainy... good luck getting a nice day ;) It's nice to see the pictures though, rain or shine!

    ReplyDelete